The blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Photo above: Black Tech Week Miami 2015, via blacktechweek.org.
As we start the year there are some great Miami startup and Knight Foundation events in January and February. Black Tech Week runs from Feb. 14-20, the Miami Mini Maker Faire takes over the National YoungArts Campus Feb. 20-21, and our Meet KF Miami Breakfast series returns Jan. 26.
Also, be sure to take a look at startup.miami, a new guide to navigating Miami's growing startup community, which was published in December in partnership with The New Tropic. We welcome all feedback as we seek to make the guide a great resource for you and those interested in our startup scene.
Check out these upcoming events:
• Jan. 20: Citi presents Women in Tech featuring talks by Mary Biggins, co-founder of ClassPass and Brodi Jackson, co-founder and managing principal of Caerus Ventures.
• Jan. 22: Join me for a Beacon Council Breakfast panel discussion on new ways to nurture talent to fuel Miami's innovation ecosystem.
• Jan. 22-24: The LAB Miami hosts the second Annual Miami Bitcoin Hackathon.
• Jan. 25: Girl Develop It Inspiration panel is being held at The LAB Miami bringing together successful women in tech to discuss trends and share experiences.
• Jan. 25 and Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29: Code for Miami presents its weekly Civic Hack Night.
• Jan. 26: Latin America Tech Meetup hosts a discussion on how to engage with startup accelerators.
• Jan. 26: LaunchCode presents South Florida Speaks .NET, an event highlighting some of the most popular software development languages and technologies being used today.
• Jan. 27 and Feb. 3, 10, 17, 24: Live Ninja hosts #WaffleWednesday, its weekly tech and creatives meetup in Wynwood.
• Jan. 27. and Feb. 10, 24: Moonlighter Makerspace hosts its BASICS Workshop Series allowing participants to use design software, machine controls and various materials to create their own custom pieces.
• Jan. 28: CityDesk hosts Wordpress Security Night with special guest Victor Santoyo from global security company Sucuri.
• Jan. 29-31: GameTrep hosts its annual Global Game Jam in Miami bringing together gaming developers and industry leaders.
• Feb. 3: Freelancers Union presents Spark Miami: Creating a Client Pipeline That Pays for aspiring freelancer entrepreneurs.
• Feb. 4: Florida International University, Village Capital and Citi present the 2016 Miami FinTech Forum, gathering innovative startups in Miami to solve major problems.
• Feb 4-6: The SoFloPHP hosts the SunshinePHP Conference for web developers and programmers in Miami.
• Feb. 6: National YoungArts Foundation presents Outside the Box: Jazz, Skateboarding & New Media.
• Feb. 14-20: The second annual Black Tech Week is being held in Miami highlighting successful Caribbean African, and African American entrepreneurs and tech communities.
• Feb. 17: The Idea Center at Miami Dade hosts Pioneers@MDC with Albert Santalo, founder of CareCloud for a discussion about the digital disruption of healthcare.
• Feb 19-21: Word Camp Miami 2016, which brings together Miami’s community of WordPress users, is being held at Florida International University.
• Feb 20-21: Startup Bootcamp Miami and the Idea Center at Miami Dade College host MIT Hacking Medicine.
• Feb 20-21: The forth annual Miami Mini Maker Faire is being held at the YoungArts Campus.
Looking forward to seeing you around town.