The blog of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Photo: The Miami Mini Maker Faire. Credit: Michael D. Bolden on Flickr.
There are some great Miami startup and Knight Foundation events in February. Black Tech Week runs from Feb. 14-20, and includes early stage and Series A startup bootcamps led by PowerMoves, in conjunction with its launch in Miami. In addition, the Miami Mini Maker Faire takes over the YoungArts campus Feb. 20-21, and our Meet KF Miami breakfast series continues on Feb. 4 and 23.
Also, be sure to take a look at startup.miami, a new guide to navigating Miami's growing startup community, which was published in December in partnership with The New Tropic. We welcome all feedback as we seek to make the guide a great resource for you and those interested in our startup scene.
Check out these upcoming events:
• Feb 4: American Entrepreneurship Award presents Fireside Chat with Daymond John at the Idea Center at Miami Dade College.
• Feb. 4: Florida International University, Village Capital and Citi present the 2016 Miami FinTech Forum, gathering innovative startups in Miami to solve major problems.
• Feb 4: Wyncode hosts an Open House at The Lab Miami to learn more about their program.
• Feb 4-6: The SoFloPHP hosts the SunshinePHP Conference for web developers and programmers in Miami.
• Feb. 6: National YoungArts Foundation presents: Outside the Box: Jazz, Skateboarding & New Media.
• Feb 6: CodeArt Miami hosts the inaugural Digital Exhibition and Speaker Symposium presented by Girls Who Code Clubs and CODeLLA.
• Feb 10,17,24: LiveNinja hosts #WaffleWednesday, a networking event connecting the Miami startup community.
• Feb. 12: Join the Miami Finance Forum for Attracting Institutional Venture Capital to South Florida, a breakfast event where I’ll be presenting the keynote address.
• Feb. 15-20: The second annual Black Tech Week is being held, showcasing Caribbean, African and African American entrepreneurs and tech communities. RSVP here to the opening reception on Tuesday, Feb. 16.
• Feb. 17: The Idea Center at Miami Dade hosts Pioneers@MDC with Albert Santalo, founder of CareCloud for a discussion about the digital disruption of healthcare.
• Feb. 18: Digital Grass hosts Spirits & Bytes, a conversation about Tech Inclusion
• Feb. 19-21: Word Camp Miami 2016, bringing together Miami’s community of WordPress users, comes to Florida International University.
• Feb. 20-21: Startup Bootcamp Miami and the Idea Center at Miami Dade College host MIT Hacking Medicine.
• Feb. 20-21: The fourth annual Miami Mini Maker Faire is being held at the YoungArts campus.
• Feb. 24: Accelerated Growth Partners Miami presents the third of six events in its angel education series Legal Due Diligence.
Looking forward to seeing you around town.
Program Director for Miami