Credit: Sidewalk Festival of Performing Arts.
The Knight Arts Challenge Detroit is open now for your ideas. The deadline is May 2. See below for a list of informational events.
You’re here because, like us, you believe the arts are the highest form of human expression. They describe beauty, speak to our soul, engage and enrage. They celebrate our community’s diversity and etch our shared experience. The arts inspire.
It’s your turn to inspire Detroit's vibrant local arts scene and enrich the city's neighborhoods.
The Knight Arts Challenge Detroit seeks to draw the best and most innovative ideas out of local organizations and individuals seeking to engage and enrich the community through the arts. Whether you’re an independent artist, business, established arts institution, organization or individual – we want to hear from you.
No idea is too large or too small, as long as it follows three basic rules
- Your idea is about arts.
- Your project takes place in or benefits Detroit.
- You find other funding to match Knight Foundation's grant.
Join us for one of two Community Conversations, where you can hear from Knight staff and learn about the challenge from past winners:
- 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. April 11; Happy Hour at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD). RSVP
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. April 15; Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History; Light lunch provided. RSVP
In addition, Knight Foundation will be holding open Office Hours where staff will provide one-on-one feedback on ideas.
- 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. April 12, Coffee & (__), 14409 E. Jefferson Ave. RSVP
- 2 to 4 p.m. April 14, (New location) Kuzzo's Chicke and Waffles, 119345 Livernois Ave. RSVP
Read the FAQ to learn more. And finally, here’s a list of the Detroit 2016 winners and a catalog of all past challenge winners in Miami, Detroit, Philadelphia and St. Paul.
Knight Foundation announces new $9 million commitment to the Detroit arts - by Victoria Rogers on Knight Blog, 11/8/2015