PARTICIPANT BRIEFING MATERIALS
At Knight Foundation's Media Learning Seminar, leaders from community and place-based foundations meet with journalism and technology experts. You're invited to browse the pre-conference briefing materials published here.
Alberto Ibargüen, President and CEO
Trabian Shorters, V.P./Communities
• MLS Event Program (PDF): Featured speakers, biographies, schedule of events and more. Includes a smart networker’s guide to the (new) 2012 MLS Expo.
• Partnerships Playbook (PDF): This new resource addresses ways to create effective partnerships for addressing community information needs.
• Opportunities for Leadership: How Knight Community Information Challenge winners increased their leadership profile and impact by investing in news and information projects.
Profile: Silicon Valley Community Foundation
Profile: Community Foundation of New Jersey
• Nonprofits News Sites and Sustainability (PDF): With a detailed look at the country's pioneer online nonprofit news ventures, this report offers a useful framework for assessing a site's sustainability.
• Community Information Toolkit: A simple, easy-to-use set of tools to help leaders assess and improve their community's information system to advance their particular goals for a better community.
• MediactiveWe're in an age of information overload, and too much of what we watch, hear and read is mistaken, deceitful or even dangerous. Yet you and I can take control and make media serve us — all of us — by being active consumers and participants. Here's how.
• 10 Types of News & Info Projects (p. Thinking about getting started? Looking to branch out? Let's look at 10 types of projects other community foundations have created.
• How to Identify the Best Local Media or Community Engagement Projects:How can your small organization make a big impact? Circuit Rider Lisa Williams guides us to the best opportunities.
• The Big Three: Resources for Media Learning Seminar Attendees (PDF):Here are some phrases, tools, and learning resources that can both get you up to speed and send you home with more to explore.
Note: Additional links, files and presentation materials will be published here during and after the conference.