Downtown Denver. Photo by Carolannie on Flickr.
This week, Knight Foundation heads to Denver for the Online News Association’s 2016 conference. First held in 2000, the ONA conference is a meeting ground for journalists and media practitioners to discuss digital trends and gain practical skills to stay abreast of where journalism is headed.
Knight is a proud supporter of the Online News Association and #ona16. Throughout the conference, you can meet with Knight’s journalism team to ask questions about our strategy for investing in journalism in the digital age (more details to come, so check back here during ONA). Knight’s Karen Rundlet is also hosting a listening luncheon for television and broadcast journalists on Thursday. If you’re interested, email her at [email protected] Check out where you can meet us during the three-day conference at the Hyatt Regency Denver:
Thursday, Sept. 15
- Stop by the Knight booth from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Centennial Foyer.
Friday, Sept. 16
- Knight booth open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Join the Knight-sponsored session, “Inside the Guardian Mobile Innovation Lab and MIT’s Electome,” from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Attend a party hosted by Knight at City Hall from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., 1144 Broadway, Denver. The party always proves popular, so please RSVP.
Saturday, Sept. 17
- Knight booth open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Meet the winners of the 2016 ONA Online Journalism Awards, including the winners of the Knight Award for Public Service, at the annual banquet from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Be sure to check out the many other panels, tutorials and networking events with members of the Knight network:
- Delve into the future of social audio with NPR and WYNC on Thursday at 11:30 a.m.
- Get practical tips on how to cover race and inclusion or talk empathy and analytics Thursday at 2:30 p.m.
- Take a look at a year of writing code and building stronger communities for news Thursday at 4 p.m. with Knight-funded The Coral Project.
- Join the International Center for Journalists for a reception with the ICFJ Knight Fellows on Thursday at 5 p.m..
- Friday at 2 p.m., check out “Local Newscasts: Adapt or Die?” featuring Adriano Farano of Watchup, a Knight Enterprise Fund portfolio company.
- Heard of ONA Local? Find your tribe Friday at 4 p.m.
- Saturday at 10:00 a.m. join Amy Webb for the 10 tech trends in journalism to watch.
- What are the ethical limits of virtual reality in journalism? Attend a panel Saturday at 11:30 a.m. with Frontline, Poynter and the Drone Journalism Lab.
And don’t forget to visit the Midway, which showcases new tools, products and projects. Here are some highlights:
- The Guardian U.S. is hosting office hours Thursday at 2 p.m.
- Get quick tips on how to make the post-production process of immersive storytelling easier with the University of Texas Friday at 12:55 p.m.
- The Knight Lab at Northwestern University is hosting two sessions on the Midway, one on creating timelines Friday at 11:30 a.m. and another on interactive storytelling Friday at 2:20 p.m.
- Check out CrowdTangle’s Midway session on finding and building communities Thursday at 11 a.m. and join them for office hours Saturday at 11 a.m.
We’ll see you in Denver!