The Online News Association’s annual gathering of digital journalists is hitting the nation’s capital this week from Oct. 5-7.
Now in its 17th year in the United States, the conference tackles pressing issues and major trends for journalism in the digital age. We’ve examined many of these issues in the past year at Knight - from a Prototype Fund round that dealt with the spread of misinformation, to the Journalism 360 Challenge to surface ideas on immersive storytelling, to a major initiative on trust, media and democracy anchored by an influential commission, and most recently, the 2017 News Match to support nonprofit news organizations across the country. As today’s media environment becomes defined by the challenges of the digital age, initiatives like ONA become all the more timely and relevant to our work because of their role in bringing people together.
More than 3,000 journalists, developers, entrepreneurs, students and educators join this year’s conference. If you’re headed to ONA, stop by Knight’s booth on the exhibition floor and chat with our journalism team, join a networking reception with ONA Local, or tune in to some fascinating keynotes that tackle trust in news or the role of satire in political coverage.
Take a look at the ONA schedule to plan your full itinerary, and here’s where you can meet Knight in Washington:
- 8-9 a.m.: Kick off ONA 2017 with the Knight Foundation Journalism team! Join us for breakfast and coffee in the Knight lounge (Location: Harding Room).
- 9-10 a.m.: Questions about the 2017 News Match? Ask Mary Brown and the News Revenue Hub in the Knight lounge (Location: Harding Room).
- 2-3 p.m.: Journalism 360: Creating Immersive Content on a Shoestring Budget (Location: Washington 5). Use #ONA17VR.
- 2-3 p.m.: Jump in to digital social media verification training with First Draft in the Knight lounge (Location: Harding Room).
- 2-3 p.m.: Naytev, a Knight Enterprise Fund portfolio company, demos its social tool at the Knight booth (Location: M3, Exhibition Floor).
- 3-4 p.m.: Meet the team of Whereby.us, also a Knight Enterprise Fund portfolio company, at the Knight booth (Location: M3, Exhibition Floor).
- 5-6:30 p.m.: Who are the global newsrooms leading at using technology for storytelling? Find out at a reception with the International Center for Journalists (Location: Washington 5). Use #ONA17newstech.
- 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Don’t miss this year’s ONA Opening Night Reception at the iconic Newseum.
- 8-10 a.m.: Round two of coffee and breakfast with Knight staff in the Knight Lounge (Location: Harding Room).
- 10-11 a.m.: Meet Knight Prototype Fund winner Frederic Filloux, who will demo his News Quality Score project at the Knight booth (Location: M3, Exhibition Floor).
- 12-1 p.m: Come check out the just-launched Better News platform and the Table Stakes Manual, designed to help newsrooms innovate and accelerate digital transformation, with the American Press Institute at the Knight booth (Location: M3, Exhibition Floor).
- 1-2 p.m.: At the Knight booth, check out the tool from Trint, a Knight Enterprise Fund Portfolio company, that automates your transcriptions (Location: M3, Exhibition Floor).
- 2-3 p.m.: Knight’s Karen Rundlet joins the Digital Publishers of Color panel with Molly de Aguiar, Glenn Burkins, Led Black and Tracie Powell (Location: Maryland A+B). Use #ONA17startups.
- 2-4 p.m.: It’s your second chance to ask Mary Brown and the News Revenue Hub about the 2017 News Match in the Knight lounge (Location: Harding Room).
- 3:30-4:30 p.m.: Raney Aronson, Nonny de la Peña and Knight’s Jennifer Preston explore scientific storytelling with Journalism360 (Location: Virginia A+B). Use #ONA17360.
- 10-11 a.m.: Catch the 10th anniversary edition of Amy Webb’s 10 Tech Trends in Journalism (Location: Marriott Ballroom Salon 3). Use #ONA17trends.
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Get the latest on push alerts with Sasha Koren, Sarah Schmalbach, Pete Brown and Emily Bell during Pushes of Note: Best practices in mobile notifications (Location: Virginia A+B). Use #ONA17push.
We hope to see you in D.C. this week!