This post has been updated.
SXSW, one of the world’s largest gatherings of techies, journalists, educators, filmmakers, interactive media producers and musicians kicks off Friday, March 10. Thousands of attendees who descend on Austin, Texas, are prepping their schedules for must-see panels, performances and demos.
Knight Foundation’s Journalism, Technology Innovation and Community and National Initiatives programs will take part in discussions around Austin over the next week. Check out these events to connect with Knight and our partner network at SXSW Interactive:
Sunday, March 12
- Knight kicks off Sunshine Week with breakfast tacos and a press freedom debate at 10 a.m. CDT. Join us and Jameel Jaffer, director of the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, and the head of the American Society of News Editors, Mizell Stewart III.
- Then at 12:30 p.m. CDT, we’re teaming up with the Online News Association for lightning talks on the practice of virtual reality, augmented reality and 360-degree video for news. While you’re there, learn about the Journalism 360 Challenge, open until April 10 for your ideas to advance immersive storytelling in news.
- The organizers from Misinfocon, Hacks and Hackers and First Draft brainstorm ideas on how to counter misinformation and discuss Knight’s upcoming open call for how early-stage projects at 3 p.m. CDT.
- To cap off the weekend, join us at The Awesomest Journalism Party starting at 5 p.m. CDT.
Friday, March 10
- At 11 a.m. CST, explore augmented reality and urbanization, or how technology can help people “rediscover” public spaces, with John Hanke, CEO and founder of Niantic Lab (the company that brought Pokemon GO to the world), and Knight Vice President for Learning and Impact Sam Gill.
- Stop by Knight Enterprise Fund company OwnLocal’s fourth annual investor and startup mixer, News & Schmooze, Friday evening starting at 5:30 p.m. CST.
Saturday, March 11
- How can smart urban design shape civic life? Take part in the discussion with Knight’s Director of Community and National Initiatives George Abbott.
- Join Knight Vice President for Technology Innovation John Bracken for “Social Enterprise Real Talk From the Field.”
- Have questions about Knight’s open call for prototype projects, opening for ideas March 13? Ask Bracken and Knight Vice President for Journalism Jennifer Preston during office hours at Corner Restaurant (110 E, 2nd St.) from 3:30-4:30 p.m. CST.
Throughout the next week, tap into the brainpower of several Knight grantees who will lead discussions at SXSW Interactive. Catch a session on the rise of the chatbot with Chatfuel’s Andrew Yaroshevsky on Monday, March 13. Tune in to the evolution of podcast advertising with Matt Lieber of Gimlet Media and an ignite talk with Jonathan Jackson of Blavity on Tuesday, March 14. On Thursday, March 16, Umbel’s David Cedrone breaks down what makes music festival superfans tick, and Eli Pariser of Upworthy discusses the weaponized filter bubble.
We hope to see you around Austin.